Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Leanin' Dog

Nazum, K. A. (2008). The leanin' dog. New York:  Scholastic, Inc.


Genre: Realistic Fiction
Age Level: 8-12

Summary:  The Leanin' Dog is an incredible story of loss, pain, and suffering, in the beginning.  The young girl in the story, Dessa Dean, is in conflict with herself.  She lives with her father, lost her mother in an unforseen accident, and longs to leave the four walls of her cabin.  However, she can't even make herself walk father than the edge of her porch.  In her mind, her mother's death was her fault and the pain that she has from this accident further increases the pain she feels from the frostbitten ears she deals with each and every day. 
     The setting of this story is in the mountains of Colorado during a harsh winter.  The scenery can be felt in almost every line of the book.  Dessa Dean used to love this time of the year, until it was partly responsible for her mother's death, and fully responsible for her own pain with her ears.  She must wear a hat at all times, and pull it way down over her ears, if she is even near the cold coming from the doorway.  That is, until one day she hears the sound of a dog coming from outside.  She forgets about her pain and longs to find the companionship of a friend, in this case, a beautiful brown dog.  The dog is not used to humans, but quickly warms up to her as long as she is outside the cabin.  However, he finally figures out it is warmer inside the cabin and ventures inside only if the door is left open.
     There are many ups and downs in this wonderful story.  However, the climax of the story comes when the dog fights off a bear who is trying to attach Dessa Dean.  Both the dog and bear run off into the woods and Dessa Dean fears that the dog is hurt.  She finally leaves the cabin for her one true friend, and does not come home empty-handed.


Reflection: I am a complete dog-lover, with four of my own at home.  If I see a book with a dog on the cover, it is sold.  I bought this book two or three years ago at a book fair at school and just added it to my collection of dog books in my home library.  If I had know how wonderful it would be, I would have read it sooner.  I could not put this book down!
     I think my students would love this book.  It would be a great, suspenseful read-aloud for the classroom.  I think I will do that in my own classroom before Christmas break, since it does make reference to Christmas in some of the chapters.  I also think it would be helpful in teaching students good character and willingness to sacrifice yourself for others.  It is important that we teach our students this today because many of them do not learn that in their own homes.  It is so important to worry about others, even if they are in the form of an animal. 
     OMG! I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!! It would be one of my top most recommended books for others to read.

2 comments:

  1. What a glowing recommendation - guess I'LL have to get it and read it now! Have you read, "I, Jack"? - I think you would love that one as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I have not read "I, Jack", but I will add that to my list of books to look for. Thank you for the suggestion!! I so loved "The Leanin' Dog"!!!

      Delete